
First off, congratulations to the New York Football Giants.
For those of you who know me fairly well, here's why I think football stats mean nothing (and I think stats in sports in general mean nothing). Stats always indicate something that has happened in the past. Everything resets to zero when the kickoff takes place. The media obsesses about stats, since they seem to think that they represent what will happen in the future. It sucks the humanity and life out of sports in general, in my opinion. I did not listen to, read, or watch any coverage for the past 2 weeks involving the Super Bowl. Why talk for 14 days about a 60 minute game?
Everyone predicted the Patriots to win the Super Bowl, and statistically speaking, they should have. Brady had the best year of any QB. The Pats were undefeated. The Giants went into the Super Bowl the lowest seed ever. Why does all of that matter? It doesn't. It doesn't matter one bit, and that was evidenced tonight.
The Giants' defense showed up to play, and play they did. They got to Brady on very many plays. If you would have told me one year ago that a Manning would have been Super Bowl MVP, I wouldn't have picked Eli to be that Manning. Peyton could only watch his little brother from afar. The Giants overcame some absolutely huge obstacles to get to Glendale. They beat Dallas and Green Bay in their respective stadiums in the playoffs. Eli Manning did something that Brett Favre has never done - win in Dallas.
It's too bad that we have to hear the idiotic 1972 Dolphins yack it up about how they're the best team ever. Shut up already, everyone thinks you're annoying (unless you're a Miami fan).
Joe Buck was his typical awful self. I cannot describe in words how terrible he is in the booth. I listened for him to say one thing insightful the entire game, and he failed me. Again. When the Giants had to go for it on 4th and 1 during their final scoring drive, Buck actually speculated whether or not the Giants would go for it or not. You think? Get off the air. I think I know ONE sports fan that likes him, but I think he gets Joe confused with Jack. Night and day. At least he's better than Gumball from the NFL Network, Buck at least knows what a football is shaped like.
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers surprised me during the halftime show. They sounded really good, I've always enjoyed their music. The halftime shows haven't been good at all since U2 played a few years ago. The Rolling Stones were a trainwreck, and I won't even talk about Prince last year. This is probably the first time Tom Petty has played a concert where there wasn't the massive brown cloud hanging in the air. And, thankfully there was no wardrobe malfunction with one of those guys... It was nice to see Jordin Sparks (from Glendale) sing the national anthem. I do not watch American Idol, but I read that she seems to be a class act.
Overall, the game was a good game, which is way more than what could be said about Super Bowls in general for the past 15 years. There were few penalties and very few turnovers. So, media, you can stop criticizing Eli. If you want to criticize a quarterback, criticize Romo. Yeah, right, you can never do that, he's your darling.
Two weeks until Daytona!!
1 comment:
What do you mean about "Prince" he is the best. You should know who wrote this.
T
Post a Comment