Sunday, August 24, 2008

Olympics

What a great Olympics! The biggest story was obviously Michael Phelps, winning a record 8 golds. The 100m fly win was amazing, and the photographic evidence was just released showing he actually did win. Being a swimmer in high school, I just think the guy is a freak of nature (as is Dara Torres).

Another favorite story of mine was the one of May and Walsh improving on their consecutive win streak. Now THAT'S a dynasty.

Usain Bolt of Jamaica left us wondering how fast he could have gone in the 100m. The guy practically trotted across the finish line.

Amy and I were wondering why the track and field athletes wore less while the swimmers wore more.

I conveniently "forgot" to watch men's basketball. I could really care less what a bunch of thugs like Kobe Bryant and Jason Kidd "accomplished" in the name of representing the United States. It seems as though there was limited discretion in the selection of that team. Bring back the college guys.

Remember when the father came out of the stands in Athens to help his injured son complete his track run? I don't think there was really any story like that in this year's Olympics. At least I didn't see it. Prove me wrong in the comments section of the blog.

If you're wondering why there's some events in the Olympics that you don't think qualify as sports, remember, they're the Olympic "games", not the Olympic "sports"!! Bring on the competitive puzzle assembling people (just kidding).

I'm still puzzled by the Olympic Committee's decision to hold the games in Beijing (the whole committee should be fired, they're all paid off anyway). Everyone knew that they wouldn't improve China's way they handle human rights, and that they would break every promise they made. What next, Olympics in Dubai?

See you in London.

2 comments:

Ricardo said...

Good thoughts Kratz. I am in Dubai at the moment, and I could easily see this city hosting the Olympics soon. They have all the capital needed to do it.

Tim Hallman said...

Good post.

I'm not a big fan of the Olympics, but the kids enjoyed watching them - so I enjoyed watching my kids enjoy watching the Olympics.

Since I don't normally sit down to watch PingPong, Handball, Fencing, Boxing, Volleyball, or most other "games", watching the Olympics just doesn't do it for me.

But it was fun to watch Phelps win again and again and again. And it was easy to ignore the men's basketball games - for the reasons you astutely noted.

It was a shame that Beijing was awarded the games. The injustices that were committed against thousands of citizens in order for the city to host the games was overlooked. What a shame.