Friday, July 4, 2008

1776 and America

1776 was when the American declared her independence from England. Independence was not gained until a couple of years later until after the Revolution was won by an army who came very close to losing many times. A friend loaned me the unabridged audiobook version of David McCullough's 1776, which was phenomenal. Even though I'm a history buff, there are many things that I just didn't know about that happened at that time. I highly recommend either reading or listening to the unabridged version, which is narrated in the author's own voice.

So amidst the fireworks, hotdogs, BBQs, and parades, stop and think what it is that you love about America. Yes, we have our problems - we are a nation at war, but all that is in the news is what products give off more carbon dioxide, high gas prices, and the cost of corn (even though none of this is rationed like in other war times). There are plenty other problems to talk about and work through, but I don't have the next week to sit here and write about it. I can sit here and write virtually whatever I want in this blog. I can accidentally throw a green glass bottle into a white glass recycling bin without getting fined thousands of dollars. I can own a firearm. I have the right to vote. I have the right to criticize the President without fear for my life. I have the opportunity to succeed in my business. There are many rights and freedoms that we have, but many are taken for granted.

There is no other nation that I'd rather be from.

No comments: