Monday, July 14, 2008

Congratulations to Jim Koch!!

Congratulations to brewer Jim Koch and the Boston Beer Company (maker of Samuel Adams) for apparently just becoming the largest American-owned brewery by default. Not bad for only 24 years of brewing. Since Anheuser-Busch just accepted Belgian brewing giant InBev's offer of $50B, I think that leaves Sam Adams as the largest. Coors is now managed out of Canada (by Molson), and Miller is now managed out of South America.

I've always said that Sam Adams is the best mass-produced American beer out there. Sam Adams Light is probably the closest tasting light beer to the original. Sam Adams' line of 20 beers are phenomenal - one of my fall favorites being Cherry Wheat. There is simply not a beer they produce that is bad.

Bottoms up!

4 comments:

Dwight Knowlton said...

Knowlton & Kratz is now like 8,997th! Just think. Last week our brewery was 8,998.

Tim Hallman said...

What do you think of the mass-produced A&W brew? Personally I think it has a nice "kick" to it...never really gotten into the Samuel Adams stuff...not enough sasparilla...too much barley.

Kratz said...

Timmmm, I happen to think that A&W is the best mass produced root beer I've had - it leaves a nice coating on the teeth. Sam Adams might have too much hops (not barley) for your taste, but as always, I recommend their Sam Adams Light for you. JK

Tim Hallman said...

Hops...right...that is what I meant...