Sunday, April 5, 2009

I Miss Real Country Music...

For those of you that know me well, you would know that I'm a big time country music fan. I've not listened to country for a couple of years, mainly due to the fact that KNIX and KMLE here in Phoenix have gone to a top 40 format. Seems like 50% of the time, when I turn the dial to these stations, either Rascal Flatts, Keith Urban, or Taylor Swift is on. I don't want to hear Keith Urban singing about crying in his white zinfandel, Taylor Swift singing about lost loves at such a young age, or Rascal Flatts singing about well, just about anything stupid like they're so fond of doing. I'm a country traditionalist at heart, and to stomach the majority of so-called "country music" on the radio is next to impossible.

It just seems as though a lot of these new "artists" don't respect the tradition of the people who came before them, like Hank Williams, the Statler Brothers, etc... And to not respect the tradition of country music when you claim to be a country musician is not honorable, in my opinion.

I miss hearing George Strait and Randy Travis every time I turn on the radio. Strait's first hit, "The Chair", was released in 1981. I just can't imagine 20 years from now, listening to some of these pop artists they play on current country radio, but yet "Unwound" still sounds fresh to me. Strait keeps churning out hits. After seeing him in concert four times, I figured out a couple of years ago, that he could give two full length shows with just number one hits, and not repeat the same song. Strait doesn't need any lights or smoke to make a good show. Just get up there and perform good music. Plus, he lives what he sings. Very unusual for these days. There are still musicians that respect the tradition however - Brad Paisley and Alan Jackson, to name a couple.

I don't know, maybe I'm getting old, or just sentimental, but I just can't imagine kicking back with a beer on the back porch and listening to Keith Urban like I can listening to Strait.

Long live The Man.

2 comments:

Tim Hallman said...

Ummmm...yes - you are getting old, and you sound like a fuddy-duddy. Except that you are not. The new country is shallow and slick. The not-new country was more thoughtful and real. I've not listened to nearly as much country as you - though you are the one that got me hooked on it. John Michael Montgomery, 1993 Beer and Bones! If anybody caught my attention and time, it was Colin Raye.

When Tara and I first got married, and we would head up the lake in the summer, we always rolled down the windows of the car and turned up K105. But after a few years we noticed that the lyrics of the "new" country were stupid and crass. So then we rolled up the windows, turned on the A/C and listened to U2 or any other CD we happened to bring along.

Kratz said...

Yes! Beer and Bones - JMM took that to heart a little too much over the years, though. Coming home from a friend's house tonight, I was listening to the radio, and stuffed in between Chris LeDoux and Trace Adkins was one of the worst Keith Urban songs I've ever heard. But, I give the guy credit - he's a great guitar player.

I'd like to tell you to keep trying with country radio, but I think the song "Murder on Music Row" is too true anymore. The metrosexuals have certainly invaded country music. So, roll down the windows and listen to CDs.