Wednesday, December 5, 2007

A Small but Interesting World War II History Story...

As many of you know, Amy and I went to Europe in the fall of 2006. More specifically, we were in Germany, the Netherlands, and Belgium. Part of the trip was devoted to seeing some World War II sites - namely the Battle of the Bulge area, Cologne, Overloon, and Aachen (just to name a few places).

While there, we met up with a local German historian named Albert. I believe Albert's father was drafted by the German Army in 1939. We were put in touch with Albert by a relative of mine named Fred. Fred fought with the U.S. 1st Division, "The Big Red One", through the area that Albert lives in - which is near Duren in the western part of Germany. The first picture below was taken in Gladbach, Germany in late 1944 or early 1945. The picture is in a history book of the 1st Division, and was taken by the U.S. Signal Corp. Fred is standing 8th from the left, if you count the soldiers standing on the ground. He is the one standing with ammunition boxes at both feet, a Thompson submachine gun in the crook of his right arm, and a canteen on his left hip.


Albert took us to this very location in Gladbach (see the next picture below). As a World War II history buff, it was an absolutely amazing experience to have the history become so alive, as alive as it could be considering the circumstances were so different between then and now. Instead of cars parallel parked along the street, there were tank destroyers then. There's no more rubble, and the brickwork on the building in the foreground has all been repaired. One thing that remains the same according to Albert is the building in the background - that is still a pub. The building that the second tank destroyer is parked in front of has been torn down. I would imagine that the cobblestone remains underneath the newer asphalt.


This next picture is a picture of Albert and I standing in the approximately the same spot Fred stood around 60 years ago. Needless to say, when I sent Fred the above picture of Gladbach and the picture of Albert and I, he was tickled (after he questioned me mercilessly if it was the exact same place!). He remembered the signal corp photographer taking the picture! I think Albert and I were happy to be standing there, a German and an American enjoying each other's company, something that couldn't have happened then. Thank you, Fred.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the WWII story. I feel you have a book in you waiting to come out. Write it. If there was a book in me, you know it would have only been put there covered in cheese or chocolate sauce.